Focused Guidance, Aggressive Family Law Advocacy

Changing Your Divorce Agreement

Despite all the effort that goes into a divorce agreement, it cannot accurately reflect the changes in your life after you establish the agreement. Life has a way of changing in unexpected ways. No matter what kinds of changes you and your family experience, how can you be sure your divorce agreement reflects your new life?

When you need help modifying your divorce agreement, you need the help of a family law attorney whom you can trust. My name is Chad Powers, and at The Law Office of Chad M. Powers, you can find the experience and compassion you deserve from your family law attorney.

How Can You Relocate To Another State?

When a better job, family needs, or other personal matter calls for you to move with your children to another state or outside of the area your divorce decree permits, things get complicated. You cannot simply move yourself and your children without notifying anyone, especially when you need to change the divorce agreement first. I can help file for a modification to request permission to move and establish a new visitation plan after the relocation.

When Do You Need A Modification?

It can be hard to know whether you need to pursue modifying your divorce agreement or not. When the circumstances of your living situation or your ability to care for your children change, you may be able to benefit from a modification. Common examples of reasons for modification include:

  • Either spouse gaining or losing a significant amount of income
  • Major changes in the cost of caring for your children
  • A request for relocation

If you suspect that you may need a modification, I can help review your unique situation to determine your options and what steps you need to take next.

Get Your Decree To Fit Your Life

When life changes, you need your divorce decree to change with it. Choose a family law attorney with the experience necessary to guide you through your modification and relocation needs. I can help you fight to secure the best possible outcome in your modification and relocation needs.

If you are ready to meet with a New York family law attorney whom you can trust to represent you, contact me today. Call my office in Wading River at 631-494-3282 or email me here to schedule your initial consultation today.